From: Larry Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 2:25 PM
To: MySQL List
Subject: command line escape for apostrophe

I usually use php for most of my work, but I  have to run a fair percentage
of maintenance etc from the mysql shell program.  I have a record that has
an apostrophe and so was inserted using php by escaping the ' with \ so that
it was put in as \' and it shows up in the record as O'Brien as it should.
I am trying to run a select statement from the shell program and it will not
accept \ or double '' for escaping it.  Pretty simple problem, but I can't
find anything via google for it.  (Or the manual for that matter. )

TIA

Larry