Hi Bruce,

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 06:26, Bruce Dembecki wrote:
> Hi! One of my associates here read a report somewhere that mysqld when
> compiled under OS X 10.3 was 40%+ more efficient due to improvements in the
> compilers and the way 10.3 work. Also 10.3 is a 64 Bit Operating System and
> it would be a major benefit to us to set some of the memory values in excess
> of 2MBytes on our 64 Bit G5 servers. Sadly my associate can't find the
> original report any longer, so I don't have the reference material or exact
> information.
>
> MySQL themselves repeatedly says we are better off using MySQL compiled
> binaries than compiling our own. So then how can we take advantage of these
> OSX 10.3 compiler gains when MySQL is only offering 10.2 compiled versions
> on their web site.
>
> Which brings me to my questions...
>
> If the OSX 10.3 Compilers are so much more efficient and result in major
> performance gains how long will it be before MySQL starts providing a MySQL
> binary compiled for OSX 10.3?
>
> Along with regular 10.3 is it possible MySQL will offer Binaries for 10.3 64
> bit for those people with G5 servers (and with Apple being a major sponsor
> of the forthcoming Users conference and making a big deal about the new G5
> servers I would think they have a major interest in this issue too).

This should certainly be possible. I have forwarded your message to our
build team.

> In the absence of these apparently faster improved versions of MySQL if we
> did want to make our own binaries using 10.3 can some talk us Mac guys (who
> haven't had the long history of building our own binaries most of the Unix
> guys have) through the exact process of getting the source code and
> compiling it on our systems?

The general compile process is documented in the manual at
www.mysql.com/doc/, with specifics for various platforms. I won't
speculate what the specific issues for this new environment might be.
When the build engineers have the details, we'll update the manual
accordingly.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Sydney 7 Jun 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl