At 15:02 -0700 2/25/04, Colleen Dick wrote:
I'm sure this is in the manual somewhere or in the archives, but
I'm not finding it and I bet someone easily knows the short answer:

Using 3.23
setting a varchar field to PASSWORD("secret")
Having altered nothing regarding encryption in the server
what is the default encryption type for PASSWORD?
cuz I told PEAR::Auth that the encryption type is md5
and if that is wrong that could be the reason why it is not
working.

If you want MD5 encryption, you could use the MD5() function.

PASSWORD() uses encryption that is intended for use with MySQL
account management, not for general application encryption.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Encryption_functions.html

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/