Hi,

The comments in the fulltext doc page (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html) discuss the issues of stopwords and over 50% hits, so I did my best to avoid those particular bombs in my searches.

The "subject" column contains subjects for message posts/entries, and as such they're strings of around six words, on average. Here's some searches that returned blank results:

SELECT subject FROM entry WHERE MATCH (subject) AGAINST ('your');
SELECT subject FROM entry WHERE MATCH (subject) AGAINST ('spam');
SELECT subject FROM entry WHERE MATCH (subject) AGAINST ('hatching');

"your" is a possible stopword, but the other two are words that appear just once in the 16 (now 19) records.

For the list in general, here's some things I tried since my last post:

1. Attempted to verify that the table is MyISAM. CHECK TABLE and ANALYZE TABLE were processed okay, which _seems_ to indicate that the table is MyISAM:

CHECK TABLE entry; LIMIT 0, 30

Table    Op       Msg_type  Msg_text
------------------------------------
entry    check    status    OK

ANALYZE TABLE entry; LIMIT 0, 30

Table    Op         Msg_type    Msg_text
entry    analyze    status      Table is already up to date

2. Based on a comment in (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Fine-tuning.html), ran:

ALTER TABLE entry TYPE=MyISAM;

Result: command returned without an error; however, searches still come up blank.

3. Noted in the fulltext restrictions doc (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Restrictions.html) that fulltext before 4.1.1 doesn't work with Unicode.

To check the current settings, tried running SHOW CHARACTER SET; and SHOW COLLATION;, but got errors:

MySQL said: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'CHARACTER SET' at line 1
MySQL said: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'COLLATION' at line 1

So I flushed the data from the table, and reloaded with data with a character encoding explicitly set at iso-8859-1. However, my searches still return blank results.

I must admit that at this point I'm stumped!