Hi everyone,

I'm using mysql version 3.23.58, on Fedora core 1 (the default
supplied on the system).

I have searched the mailing list archives, and google, for my query,
but have not yet found an answer.

Does anyone know if it's possible to define 2 columns in a table, with
a constraint that will ensure that values on both columns are unique?
For example, if I have columns "a" and "b", then if I insert value "x"
in column a, then I may not insert value "x" again in EITHER column
"a" or column "b" again.

I'm trying to develop a structure for a table that will hold a user's
primary email address, and an alias, and I'd like to have a column
called "address" and a column called "alias", and of course, there
must be no address or alias duplication. This allows addition and
removal of an address and its alias in one insert, and if the insert
fails, then we know there's duplication, and return an error message.

I have thought of other ways around this issue, but my ideal solution
would be as above. If this is not possible, then I will go back to my
other (IMHO less elegant) solutions.

--
Anand Buddhdev
Celtel International