The problem is the data file is about 25GB. The index file generally turns out to be at least half the size(~15GB)Unfortunately, I don't have 40GB free space on the machine. That's why the NFS server came into picture.
I managed to start the table rebuild from a linux box running MySQL4.0.12. Some of the senior folks at the lab think that it may be because lockd and/or statd has issues running over NFS from a Mac OS X box. Anyone have experience with this before?
Thanks for all your help.
Rishi

Try rebuilding the table in a local directory, and then copy the file to the NFS mounted one.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/