Bernd Jagla wrote:
Hi there,

I have some weird sql statements that seem to eat up all resources from mysqld.
Once I have two of them running at the same time no one can log on any more. Simple
queries involving distinct get a out of memory error.

We have tried changing the index buffer size from 256M to 2G, no change. We have 7G of
memory on an IRIX system with 8 cpus.
No replication.

Do you have any idea what is happening?

I believe I have a hunch now. If I remember correctly, I've seen this problem on Irix before. If one thread gets really busy it can lock out all others. So we really have two problems - a slow query + OS flaw.

As far as the solution is concerned, I do not see one without a serious surgery. Sorry.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/