I have a query that is admittedly inefficient in that it is doing multiple OR clauses and joining multiple tables. However, the query runs at an acceptable speed if I am in a terminal session and run the query directly in the terminal. On the other hand, when PHP performs the same query for use in a page, it takes 5-7 minutes for the query to run (the same query running in the terminal takes about 3-5 seconds). I can do a show processlist when the php page runs the query and I see "Copying to tmp table" in the State column of the show processlist results. Does anyone have any tips on why it is so much slower when run from php vs. the terminal.