To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 11:28 AM
Subject: mysql in a jail

I have a system running FreeBSD 4.9 four jails. MySQL is running in two of

the

jails and I am trying to add it to a 3rd jail. Starting the server gets

the

message:

040302 19:34:15 mysql started
040302 19:34:15 Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission

denied

040302 19:34:15 Do you already have another mysqld server running on

socket:

                  /tmp/mysql.sock ?
 040302 19:34:15  Aborting
 040302 19:34:15  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete
 040302 19:34:15  mysqld ended

The new jail was created by copying the file tree from a jail that had the
desired configuration and then doing clean-up as required. In response to

the

error I tried configuring mysqld to use a different port and socket file.

That

did not fix the problem. I had forgotten the other two mysql's are using

port

3306 and /tmp/mysql.sock.

I next removed mysql and its dependencies and reinstalled

mysql-server-4.0.16

using pkg_add. I am still getting the same error. At this point I think it

is a

jail problem with something I missed in clean-up but I do not know where

to look

next.

Having done all this, I recalled in installing the 2nd MySQL jail, it was
necessary to remove and reinstall mysql. In that instance the

re-installation

solved the problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

_____