Here is the user, host and password fields from one of my MySQL servers named TestServer

mysql> select user, host, password from user;
+------------+------------+------------------+
| user       | host       | password         |
+------------+------------+------------------+
| root       | localhost  | hekw8838hdd8938d |
| root       | TestServer |                  |
|            | localhost  |                  |
|            | TestServer |                  |
| root       | 192.%      | hekw8838hdd8938d |
+------------+------------+------------------+
6 rows in set (0.03 sec)

The first and last entries were created by me and are fine.

The 3rd and fourth are default entries which block everyone access (all the privileges are 'N' for those

But what about the second entry? I did not create it .... is it a security risk since it has no password? I tested it to be sure and cannot even log in on the local machine using the host parameter 'TestServer'....

TestServer:~ admin$ mysql -u root -h TestServer -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2005: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'TestServer' (1)
TestServer:~ admin$

Does the mysql daemon use this particular one for access??

Kieran Kelleher
Director of Product Development
SmartleadsUSA,LLC
2656 West Lake Rd