On February 5, I posted this message to the list describing my problem:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/mysql/2004-q1/2398.html

I received the following response and posted a reply to this response, respectively
reply: http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/mysql/2004-q1/2426.html
response: http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/mysql/2004-q1/2430.html

The gist of the problem is that I am unable, with MySQL 4.0.17 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 2, to full-text index a 17GB customer records table containing about 35 million customer records that my client would like to be able to search. The indexing process keeps failing with the following error:

error:127 (record table has crashed)

Each time this error occurs, I am able to repair the database and the check it with no errors.

The error seems to occur at different points within the indexing process - it is not consistent outside of it's inability to complete successfully.

The server is no slouch: Dual 3GHz Zeon with 6GB Ram and a 15K RPM SCSI RAID array on an LSI RAID Card.

I am able to index the first million records in a matter of minutes, but the second million records take half a day, and trying to index the whole thing fails after some ridiculous amount of days (about nine days, for instance).

A couple follow-up questions to my initial post:

1) I am starting to suspect that the MySQL server parameters, underlying filesystem, or Kernel configuration are at the root of the problem. What settings should I make sure to set in each to optomize this system for indexing and serving the 17GB table of 35 million customer records (about 15 fields per record - standard customer record-like fields)? Also, do you have a recommendation for underlying filesystem?

2) What processes/software/techniques do you recommend for monitoring system IO, disk IO, RAM memory usage, and slack usage during the indexing process? I am truly a newbie when it comes to Linux system monitoring and Linux system optimization, so detailed responses in this regard are appreciated.

Thanks, and as always, any responses are greatly appreciated.

Devi0s