Warning: SQL newbie...

I'm trying to create a query where the most recent entry for each user is returned
from a forum table, and sorted by username. The fields are simply: user_id, username,
post, last_updated. No primary key defined.

I've tried the simple "SELECT * FROM posts GROUP BY user_id DESC ORDER BY username".
It sorta returns what I'm after, but not the latest post from each user, (but the
first post). Now my understanding of the GROUP BY function may not be correct, but
according to the MySQL manual adding DESC after GROUP BY should return what I'm after
but doesn't appear to do so. Any hints?

PS. Table type is InnoDB, running on MySQL 4.0.16-max-nt.

Darran