> Chris,
> Is it faster if you remove the 'IS NOT NULL'?  I know that's not the >

> results
> you want, but we have found that is NOT NULL will do a full scan.  But
we
> normally use it with a join.  Since you are using one table, I'm not
sure
> how it would affect it.
>
> Donny

This is an interesting point.  This may be off topic, but I work with a
guy who has an allergic reaction to NULLs in database fields.  It is his
opinion that a "proper" database design would set default values for
every field.

If MySQL truly does a full scan for NOT NULL, it would seem that my
co-worker is correct.  Being new to MySQL (and databases in general), I
was wondering what the rest of you thought about this topic.

-Erich-