Hello Terry,

TR> Good point, Richard. I was perhaps in a little bit too much of a hurry
TR> putting that together, and didn't even consider that!

No worries. One other thought that occurred to me that might help with
the original problem is as follows:

Instead of having the date when the counter started as a date-time
field, you could construct your table as so:

counter_code char(10) :)
counter_value int(10)
counter_last_modified timestamp
counter_started timestamp

By replacing the single "started" date with 2 time stamps you won't
ever have to actually worry about the date again because on the very
first INSERT both time stamps will be set and on any future UPDATE you
can simply do counter_value = counter_value + 1 and the modified field
will change automatically, leaving the original "started" field intact.

This also presents the option of showing to the client/visitor the
last time a page was visited (and you just know that might be the next
request on the list :)

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey