An equivalent, but slightly simpler, query would be

  SELECT sw.pcname, sw.product
  FROM software sw, keywords kw
  WHERE sw.product RLIKE kw.Searchname

RLIKE is for regular expression pattern matching. Regular expressions, unlike LIKE patterns, don't have to match the whole string, so there is no need to paste '%' onto each end.

For more, see

  <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/String_comparison_functions.html>
  <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Pattern_matching.html>

Michael

Rocar Peças wrote:

Mr. Izzard,

We have these tables:

Table     software
                    - pcname char(..)
                    - product char(..)

Table     keywords
                    - id int(..)
                    - searchname char(...)

and you want to pick out the pcname from the software table, where the
product field contains the searchname from the keywords table

Try this and you´ll succeed:
SELECT
    software.pcname,
    software.product

FROM
    software, keywords

WHERE
    software.product LIKE CONCAT("%", keywords.searchname, "%")

Best wishes,

Leandro M Neves,
ROCAR PEÇAS LTD.
Sete Lagoas/MG - Brazil