Lutz Maibach wrote:
Hi,

we got a "little problem" with a master-slave replication (both running
MySQL 4.0.18) eating up our complete bandwidth. The slave is connected
via a 2MBit-SDSL-Line which is also used to connect our Office-PCs with
the internet so I get complaints about the "slow connection" which is
caused by the huge amount of master-slave traffic through this line.
Most of the replication traffic is caused by tables, which are only
created once, used for further selects and then deleted. The tables
can't be created as temporary tables (that's what our programmers are
telling me - I'm only the Admin and don't know whether thei're right or
wrong) but are completely useless for replication.

Use SET SQL_LOG_BIN=0 on the connection (process privilege needed) to turn off binary logging for the queries that do not need to be replicated to the slave. SET SQL_LOG_BIN=1 to turn logging back on.

Does anyone use the slave_compressend_protocol - variable successfully and can tell me, where I can see, whether the slave recognized this switch and do I have to set this switch on the server too?

It's a fairly new feature, but it should be very safe - it just enables the use of some very well field tested code. You should set it only on the slave - the slave will tell the master that it wants to use compression. To see if the daemon has it, strings mysqld | grep slave_compression_protocol

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/