Keith wrote:

is there any alternative to using OR for selecting between values?

ie: pla.type='1' OR pla.type='2' OR pla.type='3' OR pla.type='4'

Keith for stuff like this i try and arrange things in numerical blocks so i am doing selects like pla.type >= 1 AND play.type <= 4, probably not needing both constraints depending on how you arrange your query.

I also had a table that had two columns that needed an OR on. I moved it to another table, and used a join on those two tables and boy did that make a difference. Removing the OR makes a huge performance gain.

hope this helps, i'll let the real SQL experts jump in here and give their response.

--
Alan Williamson, City Planner

w: http://www.BLOG-CITY.com/
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]