Server version: MySQL 4.0.18, running on Red Hat Linux 8.0

Symptoms: All our machines except for one can connect to the database. That one machine gets 'access denied'.

All users are affected, even root.

SHOW GRANTS for an example user:

Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED]: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'ensadmin'@'%' IDENTIFIED
BY PASSWORD 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx'

And yet any attempt to connect to that database from one particular machine results in failure. For example, here are the logs for two successive connections, one from machine bc-1-1-03 and one from bc-1-1-02:

Time Id Command Argument
040315 10:44:00 1 Connect [EMAIL PROTECTED] on
1 Query select USER()
040315 10:44:09 1 Quit
040315 10:44:21 2 Connect Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Us
ing password: YES)

I've tried re-starting the database, to no effect (fortunately this is just a test instance).

Am I missing something ridiculously simple, or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance...

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts