I have installed MySQL provided with SuSE Linux 9.0. My intention was to
figure out how it could be used with PHP that is running on Apache. I managed
to install all required RPM packages, but when I try to laynch MySQL (just
typing "MySQL"], the following error message is displayed:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/
mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I checked the directory '/var/lib/mysql/' and there is no such file. How
should I generate one? The server is just a localhost if this has any impact.

Regards Sami