[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I was trying to allocate a new user and I typed something like:

grant all privileges on pail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'hill';

Here you grant [EMAIL PROTECTED] all privileges on a table named pail.

I realized I made a mistake needing to specify (at least) 'pail.*', intending to grant the user access to a database I created. So to clean up I tried:

  revoke all privileges on mysql.pail from jill;
  ERROR 1141: There is no such grant defined for user 'jill' on host '%'

You didn't specify the host (localhost), so you got the default, which is %. You don't have a user named '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', however, so you got an error.

In the privilege tables there is an entry for the user in 'user' and an entry
in 'tables_priv'. Nothing any where else. The entries look reasonable (to me).

In user: all privileges='N';
In pail:

Table_priv: Select,Insert,Update,Delete,Create,Drop,References,Index,Alter

I assume this is my error and I can remove the two entries manually but I
would like to know what I am doing wrong.

You can clean up with

REVOKE ALL PRIVILEGES FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED]

then use

GRANT ALL ON pail.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'hill'

to grant rights to the pail db.

_____
Douglas Denault
[EMAIL PROTECTED]