I think this was a bug that was fixed in later versions of mysql, but I'm not totally sure if it actually has been fixed .

I did get past this error though:

Error initializing relay log position: Could not find target log during
relay log initialization

What I had to do was shutdown the whole slave server and manually change the relay-log.info file (I backed it up first)
The lines that had the relay-bin information are the first and second lines. They show where the slave is at executing the <host>-relay-bin.0XX files.
I determined by using mysqlbinlog that the relay-bin.024 log that I was currently on was totally executed and that was why I was trying to set the slave to go on to the next one. The slave wouldn't do this automatically with the command:
RESET MASTER TO RELAY_LOG_FILE='backups-relay-bin.025', RELAY_LOG_POS=0;
So I changed it manually in the relay-log.info file to be those values and restarted the server.

Looking at it now... It might have worked to say RESET MASTER TO RELAY_LOG_FILE='./backups-relay-bin.025', RELAY_LOG_POS=4;
Maybe it couldn't find the file because I was leaving off the './'

Anyway, my slave is now running again. It will probably have to play catch up for the next three days.

Daniel Gibby

William Hargrove wrote:

Hello there,

I've just been searching through the newsgroups around this issue, as I now
have the same problem and was wondering if you heard any responce to this. I
can't seem to get any further with it. My slave server crashed and corrupted
the relay log, so I've told the slave to skip that file and move onto the
next.. now a start slave gives the same message you have.

Best Regards, Will.

Daniel Gibby wrote:

Does anyone know what this replication Slave_SQL error means?

Error initializing relay log position: Could not find target log during
relay log initialization

How do I specify the target log other than what I'm doing? See below for
details.