Hi!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Pendleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: InnoDB - alter column

> 1. The column types must match in order to establish a foreign key
> relationship. Alter the data type would invalidate the Foreign key.
Therefore
> the key must be dropped first.
>
> 2. You can not have a relationship on a column that does not exists. Once
again
> the key must first be dropped.
>
> 3-4. Currently the user is unable to name Foreign key constraints.
Consequently
> the only way to know the constraint names is to use `show create table`.

in 4.0.18, and upcoming 4.1.2 you can explicitly name a foreign key
constraint.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Register now for the 2004 MySQL Users Conference!
http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2004/index.html