Eric B. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running into a strange problem with my JVM and MySQL.  I'm using
> Macromedia JRun 4 as my JVM and everytime I restart the Jrun service, my
> application runs smoothly.  However, after an indeterminate amount of time
> (seemingly random - sometimes a couple of hours, sometimes 12-15
hours), my
> system is suddenly no longer able to access the MySQL database - my
queries
> are not being executed.  No error messages are thrown, nor any timeout's
> being hit.
>
> My problem is that I am not sure where to start debugging this problem.
> When it happens, I can see the MySQL threads (show full processlist) as
> being asleep for extended periods of time.  MySQL itself is alive, and
I am
> able to access it by manual queries through the command-line interface.
>
> This leads me to think that the problem either lies in my Connection
Pool or
> within the JConnector itself.  Is there any form of debugging I can enable
> in the JConnector to see if the JVM is actually attempting to make a
> connection and a query?  Or if a thread is being successfully retrieved by
> my Connection Pool?
>
> I'm running on MySQL 4.0.18 and JConnector 3.0.9.
>
> I am using autoReconnect=true and autoReconnectForPools=true as options to
> the JConnector.  I have also set the MySQL wait_timeout high (to
604800 = 1
> week) to ensure that it isn't a timeout problem I am seeing.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Eric,

If Connector/J is having trouble communicating with MySQL, it _will_
throw an exception. It just doesn't silently fail.

If you're not seeing _any_ exceptions being thrown, check where JRun is
logging exceptions. Do you have the opportunity to use a _different_ JVM
with JRun?

You might also try a newer version of Connector/J, to see if it changes
anything for your particular situation. You're using 3.0.9, while 3.0.11
is the latest production version.

        -Mark

- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

Meet the MySQL Team! April 14-16, 2004 http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/