Ye That Know,

Short:  Does YaST really install MySQL 'all-the-way', or do I now need to run 'make'
and/or 'make install', or other similar commands?

Long:

Previously <last week> I had installed MySQL using rpm as detailed in a SAMS book
http://tinyurl.com/2pq27

It installed fine and worked ok - I connected, made a few tiny test DBs, etc

—----------

I was having trouble with PHP and decided to reinstall everything using YaST

I installed the latest versions of:
flex
mysql
apache
php

In that order.
—--

Now when I type 'mysql' I get: "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"

When I type 'mysqld' I get: "Fatal Error: Please read "Security" section of the manual
to find out how to run mysql as root!"

(I'm root)

I did look at the manual but didn't see specific root instructions.  I also logged in
as a non-root user and retried. It said the command was not found, which is odd
because it is in /usr/sbin and is executable.

—-

Above I asked if YaST installs MySQL all-the-way because the directory 'mysql' is
missing from /usr/local.

Perhaps that is simply an install location difference between rpm and YaST.

---

What do you guys think?  I'm considering uninstalling MySQL with YaST and reinstalling
with rpm.

TIA,

   -:>Kevin