On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:34:13AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:
I am trying to push the performance of a Mysql database a little more,
it's pretty busy, but I hope to squeeze a tad more out of it.

I am a newbie/pretty clueless wrt MySQL in general, so ...

I run the status command, and see the following.

mysql Ver 12.20 Distrib 4.0.13, for pc-linux (i686)

Connection id:          27840031
Current database:
Current user:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Server version:         4.0.13-log
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Client characterset:    latin1
Server characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 4 days 14 hours 26 min 56 sec

Threads: 161  Questions: 128065100  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 657  Flush
tables: 1  Open tables: 512  Queries per second avg: 322.082

----

The value for Open Tables is 512, which looks suspiciously to me like
it's hit a limit. Is there a way to increase that limit? Or am I
misunderstanding what status is telling me?

I have partially answered my own question, the Open Tables number looks
like a limit, but I am not sure I am hitting it.

Some digging around has shown that one table of the database in question
on this machine, is getting beaucoup writes, about 10 mil/day. It is a
MyISAM table, and locking for the writes may be the bottleneck.

So my question is, how can I improve this? any suggestions of things to
try, or paths to take?

-- Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock Nothing says "loser" like "nymshifter". chrisv in C.O.L.A