I'm a beginner so don't quote me.  I beleive you need something like:

Select hs_identifiers.hs_id_num from hs_identifiers,
where (accession_num LIKE (result of another select statement)%);

I beleive that should give you the first part and if there is anything after
it.

Respectfully,
Ligaya Turmelle

"Annie Law" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate help with the following.
> I have a table where each of the values in a column consists of a
> combination of letters and numbers followed by a decimal then a single
digit.
> Examples of the two types of entries that could be found in this
column(accession_num)
> are:
> BQ877252.1
> AA3588976.2
> and possibly
> T84780
> The entries above are found in a table called hs_identifiers.
> The hs_identifiers table has two columns accession_num and hs_id_num.
>
> Given an accession_num I want to be able to look up in the hs_identifiers
table to look up for the corresponding hs_id_num.