I've installed MySQL and started the server with:

mysqld_safe &

I've confirmed the server is running with:

ps -ef | grep mysql

    and

mysqladmin status

—----------

I'm trying to connect using:

shell> mysql -u root -p

It says 'command not found' - I find the mysql command location and confirm it is
executable - from that location I retry - same thing.

This may sound silly, but how can I confirm that I've installed the client?

I ask because I installed from a binary tarball.  It was odd how it was one file
(referred to as Standard) vs. two files one being the Client and the other Server.

So if anyone can help me determine if the Client is installed and/or how to connect, I
would be thankful.

-:>Kevin