[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello,

since I moved to another dedicated server 1-2 months ago I'm
experiencing big problems with mysql.

Normally the server works fine for a website under heavy load but
after a week or so it hangs in a locked table forever and thus
preventig other processes to access it. Then I have to shut down the
(mysql-)server, kill -9 safe_mysql and another mysql process (probably
the one with the table lock) and run myisamchk -r *.MYI, then restart
the server.

The biggest table has currently 1160768 rows in it - don't know if
this matters. The mysql server is busy most of the time doing simple
SELECTS and also does many INSERTs and UPDATEs. However the server
hangs on a INSERT or UPDATE query.

I also had running a query log for a while (also when the server
crashed) but it's hard to find useful information in there.

Some information about the system:
Red Hat 9 (Shrike)
Linux 2.4.20-28.9 #1 Thu Dec 18 13:46:42 EST 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)
Athlon 1.5Ghz (or so), 512MB RAM
HDD 28% used

What should I do? I already tried to find an answer asking Google but
couldn't find the solution...

Try replacing the kernel with the one from kernel.org, replacing the binary with the one from mysql.com, and adding some RAM or swap. All three are good things to do, and one of them might fix the problem.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/