On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:21:15PM -0600, Paul DuBois wrote:
At 17:55 -0800 3/24/04, Jim Richardson wrote:
I have a rather heavily loaded server, which I would like to tweak a
little more performance out of. It currently is binlogging although
there is no slave yet. Does the process of bin logging take significant
resources? It's putting out about 1GB log per day, the IO load on the
disks isn't too bad. But I am curious about the internal to MySQL load
of logging all that data.

It costs you about 1 percent in performance:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Binary_log.html

Thanks for the pointer.

No big deal then, I'll have to actually do some work to improve the
performance of the system :) darn, I was hoping for a quick easy
victory.

OK, so the system gets about 10million hits/day, and each hit, is acompanied by incrementing a counter in one of the tables. That's where the vast bulk of the writes come from, unfortunately, the table is locked with each write, and although it's quick, it still takes time. Any suggestions on where to look for info on improving this? Kind of a general question I know, but I don't need someone to do my work, just point me to someplace I can crib from :)

Balance the budget. Declare politicions a game species and sell hunting stamps.