Jigal van Hemert wrote:
The continuing saga:

Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.13.205' (4)

Our sysadmin has been searching in the sources of the MySQL client and came up with this:

The errormessage (4) is probably (only place where this error could be
found) raised by this fragment in libmysql.c:

if ((sock = (my_socket) socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0)) == SOCKET_ERROR)
{
  net->last_errno=CR_IPSOCK_ERROR;
  sprintf(net->last_error,ER(net->last_errno),socket_errno);
  goto error;
}

According to:
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~bentlema/unix/syscalls_and_ipc.html
this is what happens:

1) The MySQL client tries to create a new socket.
2) At that moment the thread is interupted by a signal. Control is passed to
the signal handler.
3) After the signal handler has done his work, control goes back to the
original thread. The socket() function notices that it was interupted and
returns the error-code.

If you look at the sample code in section 8.1 of the url above

          for (;;) {
               rmask = mask;
               nfound = select(FD_SETSIZE, &rmask, (fd_set *)0, (fd_set *)0,
&timeout);
               if (nfound < 0) {
                    if (errno == EINTR) {
                         printf("interrupted system call\n");
                         continue;
                    }
                    /* something is very wrong! */
                    perror("select");
                    exit(1);
               }
(...)

The client should try again if the EINTR error was returned.

Did we do something wrong in the configuration of the server or is this a
tiny bug?

Regards, Jigal.

It's a bug. I would recommend to patch libmysql.c for now until MySQL developers fix it.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/