Was wondering if anybody knows if there are advantages to using "mysqladmin -pPassword shutdown" compared to "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld stop"? I have a script that was using mysqladmin to shutdown the daemon and then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start" to restart it. Problem was, and I am not sure if it is related to it, but when restarting, it wasn't recreating the /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock file. Strange though because I could run the mysqladmin shutdown on the command line and then the init.d/mysqld start and everything worked just fine. It was only doing it when running it through my script from a cron job. I could even run the script from the command line and it would work. It was just when I ran it through a cron job at 1am every morning.

Thanks
Steve