hi, all!

i was wondering whether anybody has encountered the same situation i am with, and how you deal with it:

i've got several mysql servers running in various locations (all connected by [sigh!] on-demand ppp modem connections).
every now and then i connec to the servers from our main office, and download a bzip'd mysqldump that crond creates every night, and import them into our main server.
this is of course completley idiotic, since i am transferring redundant information like crazy (at MOST 1% of the records change per day).
i was looking into using mysql's funky replication for this, but i didn't get an answer on my question whether this "multiple master-servers being replicated by a single server" can be made to work (normal scenario is one master/multiple slaves).
so. if keeping my database-copys here on our main server up-to-date is not possible using replication - how can i accomplish this?
i was thinking about switching on bin-logging on the servers, force a FLUSH LOGS (or whatever) whenever i want to update the main-server, and transfer any binlogs that have been created by the FLUSH LOGS to the main server via ftp (or whatever) and import them into the main server's copy of the remote database.
but this solution sounds so horrendously inelegant, that i am rather reluctant to even start to implement it without somebody telling me that that actually works.

so? anybody know whether that would work?

cheers,

M.