At 7:48 -0800 3/28/04, Khashan wrote:
Hello All,
I have MySQL 4.0.16 on Windows 2000 pro.
    I am trying to create a table in an existing database.
according to the manual, I can use one of these statements:
6.5.3 CREATE TABLE Syntax
CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] tbl_name [(create_definition,...)]
[table_options] [select_statement]
or
CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] tbl_name [(] LIKE old_tbl_name [)];

I am trying to use the second option. I have a table students and i want to create another table students2 using the 'LIKE' students. Here are the results:

mysql> CREATE TABLE students2 LIKE students;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE students' at line 1
mysql> CREATE TABLE students2 (LIKE students);
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE students)' at line 1

1064 is ER_PARSE_ERROR
I tried all the tricks i know to no avail. I really don't see the error in this simple command,!!!. Any help would be appricated.

Farther down the manual page:

In MySQL 4.1, you can also use LIKE to create a table based on the definition of another table, including any column attributes and indexes the original table has:
CREATE TABLE new_tbl LIKE orig_tbl;

So you need 4.1 for this to work.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/