Hi,

My MySQL server is running on a 2-cpu machine with SMP RedHat 9.0. Currently I'm
executing a lot of small INSERT-queries on it. My client program is single-threaded
using the basic mysql-API functions and causes 20% load. The client closes the
connection to the server upon completion of its tasks.
Speed of the disks is limiting during these inserts. The mysql server process will hit
100% load on 1 cpu for the duration of the program.

However when the client program finishes, sometimes the database process will
keep load at 100%. Sometimes, not always, about 25% chance.
When this happens, the server process also is too busy to accept new connections.
There's no disk activity. Malloc has dropped to levels before starting my client
program. The insert queries executed by my client are done correctly, as the tables
contain the correct amount of data (that is: on file-level divide table size by
recordsize, or check after restarting the server proces). I have to stop-start the
database server process in order to make things work again.

I wonder how I can avoid these situations. What could I do wrong/better ?

sincerely,
Mark Scholtens