I have just installed MySQL server v3.23.49-8.5 (downloaded from Debian
Packages Site) into my Debian v3.0r2 box! After finished installing, i had
followed the instruction here to change root's password but right after
this action, i can't login to mysql any more! I had also try to change
ownership of /var/lib/mysql and all files and subfolders within this
directory to mysql but still login fail!
Any suggestion? Thanks!

____________________________
if you can't get in with the root password at all...then you'll need to try
this->http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Resetting_permissions.html

What error is showing up?  How are you logging in, are you supplying the
password now?
mysql -u root -pyournewpass (or omit the password and let it prompt you)

if you are, make sure it worked correctly by tryng to login without the
password
mysql -u root

hth
Jeff