Hi all,

Suppose I have a user who has been granted select and create_tmp_table,
but no other privileges, on a given database.  When I attempt to insert
into any temporary table, permission is denied, presumably due to the
user not having insert on the database, and no entries in
mysql.tables_priv for the new temporary table.  Is there an accepted and
clean way of allowing users without insert to insert into their own
temporary tables?  This message

http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/156829

from January seems to imply that no such method exists.

There are two workarounds: either the one the above message suggests
(make the appropriate entries in tables_priv in advance, creating a
static allowable set of temporary table names), or grant insert on the
database, and then revoke insert on all of the existing tables in the
database.  This second method seems clunky in two ways: if you
subsequently create a new table that shouldn't allow inserts, you need
to remember to revoke insert on that table; it also will clutter
tables_priv quite a bit.

We're using 4.0.17 at the moment; the 4.0.18 and 4.1.1 changelogs don't
seem to address this issue.  Hopefully I'm wrong, and someone will point
out the correct way to do this; if not, what's the preferred
alternative?

Thanks,

--keith

--