I recently just upgraded to MySQL 4.0.18. I still have a few questions about
the new query-cache. Since I am new to the query-cache, I really hope
someone has some answers.

The documentation says:

"The FLUSH TABLES statement also flushes the query cache."

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean FLUSH TABLES, in effect, is equal
to RESET QUERY CACHE, in that it purges the cache? Or does it mean FLUSH
TABLES just defrags the query-cache, and has the effect of FLUSH QUERY
CACHE? I would also be interesting to know whether defragging the
query-cache
takes any disk I/O.

Also, I initially set the query_cache_size to 128M. That is a bit excessive,
perhaps. Is there a known, say, 'key_buffer to query_cache_size' ratio?

A last question. :) I am correct in my assumption that, with the
query_cache and all, I can reduce key_buffer_size? It is now set to 64M
(against  a 128M query_cache_size). My guess is that I will need less of
key_buffer_size space. Right?

Thanks,

- Mark