Hi List,

I use 3 databases Current, Persistent-1 and Persistent-2. I would like to take backups
of Current as when and required and restore them as desired without affecting
Persistent-1 and Persistent-2.

Initially thought of using mysqldump for this, but was worried about the performance
(I use huge DBs). So have come up with the following procedure,

When using single tablespace (4.0.15a)
Backup process is
        use innobackup/ibbackup
        or bring mysqld down and copy all data dir files
Restore process is
        Take mysqldump of Persistent-1 and Persistent-2
        Do Restore following either of the two approach
                For each table discard old tablespace, copy the backup file, import
new tablespace
                or bring down MySQL and copy files
        Destroy Persistent-1 and Persistent-2
        Run sql files of Persistent-1 and Persistent-2

When using per table tablespace (4.1.1 alpha)
Backup process is
        use innobackup/ibbackup or
        bring mysqld down and copy all files in data/Current
Restore process is
        Do Restore following either of the two approach
                For each table discard old tablespace, copy the backup file, import
new tablespace
                or bring down MySQL and copy files

Do you expect any issues in the above method?
Are there any other efficient, minimum downtime (zero is desirable) method to do the
same?

Please mail me your view, to help me out.

Thanks,
Sp.Raja