It seems to me you want to retrive n records based on the page number the user is in.
Here is what i use to page $limit records at a time using PHP:
 $sql_select = "SELECT * FROM myTableName limit $offset , $limit";
 $result = mysql_query($sql_select) or die ("Queryproblem: " . mysql_error());

I have to maintain $offset , $limit in the page to know the next page to retrieve.
Obviously, if someone inserted a record ( that is located prior to the current
location displayed), you won't see it. That does not seems to be  aproblem from what
you wrote. If this is a problem, you have to do more!!.

Ahmad Khashan

Do you Yahoo!?