Christine Ross wrote:

I had to install a source version of mysql and one of the install docs
strongly suggests using

CXXFLAGS="03 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"

because of some instances of mysql crashing.

When I did that I noticed in the compile a line that said it wasn't
supported by gcc (3.3.3). I"m using CXX=gcc.

It would be helpful if you would tell us what OS you have and which version of mysql you are building, as well as pasting in the message you got from gcc.

1) Has anyone had instances if it crashing without those parameters?

I can't have mysql crashing but if the gcc indicates it doesn't support it,
do those flags get built in?

Also when I included it in the build, my statement
about --localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data

was ignored because it never built the data directory.

2) I just built it with --prefix and --localstatedir.  Has anyone had
problems with this?

That depends on what you mean by build (out of `configure`, `make`, or `make install`). The data directory is created when you install mysql with `make install`. Are you saying that didn't happen when you installed?

3)  If I want to recompile mysql, do I also have to recompile all apache,
php and mod_ssl?

That depends. Did you build php against your build of mysql, or did you keep php's built-in mysql support?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michael