It's tough comparing databases that are not in the same class. MySQL is better than FileMaker (even v7) in lots of way, but then, Filemaker is better in some ways too. MySQL will be far more scalable than FileMaker. But you'll be more productive in FileMaker based on it's ease of use. At least until you get really good at PHP or whatever front end language you choose.
I'm actually using both at my company. I have a few FileMaker databases with over 100K records (Emails, Journal) with almost no performance issues. The largest databases increase by about 50-100 records a day. But I have one database with less than 20K records that was just getting too slow for complex full text searches in a large text field. MySQL takes about 2-3 seconds to do the same complex search that FileMaker did in about 20. There's also the problem of other FileMaker clients "pausing" while a search takes place. All of my test searches are actually faster in MySQL than in FileMaker.

About 6 months ago I decided I was going to switch everything over to PHP/MySQL. Mainly because I want a web front end and have never been impressed with Filemaker as a web backend. I've used CDML, Lasso and now fxPHP for my web front end to FileMaker. But FileMaker is just slow when accessed via the web.

The short answer is that yes, MySQL would speed things up if you do things right. MySQL is as scalable (compared to FileMaker) as FileMaker is easy to use. Two extremes. I wouldn't recommend using FileMaker as a front end to MySQL through a plug-in or ODBC.