I'm using MySQL to track data throughput information on my company's
routers.  The routers are queried every 5 minutes 24 hours/day.  I need to
produce a report showing data accumulated during business hours - Monday
through Friday, 8:00-5:00.

The program to pull the data and manipulate it will be written in PERL.
What I don't know is, will it be more efficient to have the PERL program
query data from MySQL only for business hours or should I write the MySQL
query (and sub-query) to only SELECT data from business hours.  I can do
either one, I just don't know which one would be best.

I'm running MySQL 4.0.16 standard on a Sun e250 running Solaris 8.  The
database consists of around 650 tables ranging in size from 20 KB to 3-4 GB
(approx. 12 million records).

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.  If more info is needed,
please let me know.

Jack

Jack Coxen
IP Network Engineer