Hi!

On Apr 08, Haitao Jiang wrote:
> Why Mysql "load index ... into cache" require the same
> size index block when it creates indexes in different
> block sizes (1k or 2k)? I don't understand.

It's limitation of the current implementation :(
It reads MYI file successively by fixed chunks
(multiple of block size) and inserts blocks into the keycache.
It's much faster than traversing index tree.

Buf if different indexes have different block sizes, this method does
not work, as a block has no header and there is no way to find what its
size and where the next block begins.

In the future LOAD INDEX ... will be extended to allow preloading only
some indexes, and not all the file. Then it will be possible to load
indexes of different block lengths.

Regards,
Sergei

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>