warning: complete db server newbie!
(I've done plenty of SQL & JDBC coding, but never
had to care about the server side until now ;-)

Installed the binary distribution packages for Mac OS X:
   mysql-max-4.0.l8.pkg
   MySQLStartupItem.pkg
no problem.

But then when trying to configure the root user for the
db, cut and paste straight from Chapter 2 of the manual
fails:

$ mysqladmin -u root password "asdf"
$ mysqladmin -u root -h `hostname` password "asdf"
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'quickbeam.local' failed
error: 'Host '192.168.1.100' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'

Please help point me in the right direction,
DouglasDD

PS - I'm sure that this has come up before, but searching on list.mysql.com
is currently broken ("DP failed" for all queries).

TONS OF DETAILS:

Mac OS X 10.3.3 (not "server" edition) on a PowerPC G5 dual 2GHz

$ uname -a
Darwin quickbeam.local 7.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.3.0: Fri Mar 5 14:22:55 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.3.15.obj~4/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

$ mysqladmin version
mysqladmin  Ver 8.40 Distrib 4.0.18, for apple-darwin6.8 on powerpc
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          4.0.18-max
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /tmp/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 40 min 30 sec

Threads: 1 Questions: 5 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 6 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 1 Queries per second avg: 0.002

Network: the mac is 192.168.1.100 (behind a LinkSys from the cable modem)

--

 "Why, oh why, didn't I take the *blue* pill?"
 Douglas D. Dickinson  --  [EMAIL PROTECTED]