From: Michael Stassen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 12:03 PM
To: Luc Foisy
Cc: Paul DuBois; MYSQL-List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: mysql error file

Note (see ps output) that you are using safe_mysqld, rather than mysqld_safe, as you have mysql 3.23.58. Hence, you need to change [mysqld_safe] to [safe_mysqld] in your my.cnf. See <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqld_safe.html>.

Michael

Luc Foisy wrote:

I hade it misconfigured (wrong param name prior to MySQL 4.0)

Doc Quote http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Error_log.html

Beginning with MySQL 4.0.10, you can specify where mysqld stores the
error log file with the option --log-error[=file_name]. If no file_name
value is given, mysqld uses the name `'hostname'.err' and writes the file
in the data directory. (Prior to MySQL 4.0.10, the Windows error log name
is `mysql.err'.) If you execute FLUSH LOGS the error log will be renamed
with a suffix of -old and mysqld creates a new empty log file. >
In older MySQL versions on Unix, error log handling was done by mysqld_safe which redirected the error file to 'hostname'.err. You could change this filename by specifying a --err-log=filename option to mysqld_safe. End Doc Quote

I changed it to what it should be according to the documentation and

again it writes to $HOSTNAME.err

[mysqld_safe]
--err-log=/usr/data/mysql/mysql.err

I am restaring MySQL with:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start

mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58, for pc-linux (i686)
RedHat 9.0

What I am seeing with ps -axw
14683 pts/0    S      0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --datadir=/usr/data/mysql
--pid-file=/usr/data/mysql/mysql.pid
14712 pts/0    S      0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/usr/data/mysql
--user=mysql --pid-file=/usr/data/mysql/mysql.pid