FWIW, I'm still having this problem.

I've completely dropped the table and re-built it from the ground up. It's a bizarre problem... The table is totally simple. A primary key, and then three varchar fields. The FULLTEXT index spans the 3 varchar fields. There are only 6500+ rows, so it's pretty tiny.

A mysqldump of the table is only 442K.

Has no-one else seen anything like this? I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Thanks,

Don

Don MacAskill wrote:

Hi there,

I've got a bizarre problem I can't seem to solve. I have a small MyISAM table (6533 rows) with a small FULLTEXT index (3 columns per row, an average of 1 word per column). When I do an INSERT on the table, many times the thread gets stuck perpetually in "Query | update". Future reads from other threads, of course, stay "Locked".

When I try to kill the thread using mysqladmin, the thread sticks around for thousands of seconds in "Killed | update" until I finally just have to kill mysqld manually and let it restart.

I've tried REPAIR, ANALYZE, and OPTIMIZE on the table, both using mysql and myisamchk. Tried all the options, such as extended and force and the like.

I've even tried wrapping the INSERT with "LOCK TABLE table WRITE" and "UNLOCK TABLES". Still no dice, the INSERT still hangs sometimes. I haven't bothered trying INSERT DELAYED since LOCK TABLE seems more drastic anyway and it didn't work.

This happens both on 4.0.17 and 4.0.18. This is a RHEL3 WS dual AMD64 box w/8GB of RAM.

Strangely enough, I have another MyISAM table with 1,285,742 rows and a larger FULLTEXT index, and it never locks this way.

I have a third MyISAM table with 61,834 rows and a larger FULLTEXT index that locked on me once like this last night, but then I ran through and updated nearly every row overnight, and inserted a few hundred new ones, and it didn't lock at all.

FWIW, it only seems to hang on INSERT, not on UPDATE. I haven't tried DELETE yet.

I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Don