>how to compile mysql 4.0.18 on a pentium for best performance?
> Check the INSTALL-SOURCE file in your source distribution.

I found this:

CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro
-felide-constructors" ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--with-mysqld-user=mysqladm      --without-debug  --with-client-ldflags=-all-static
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static  --disable-shared
--localstatedir=/home/mysqladm/data   --enable-assembler

but it says for x86 which could also be amd?! What about pgcc and how about
-march=pentium4 which I found somewhere else on the net?

Andy