Beer Joseph wrote:
Hi,
is it (mysql v5.0) or might it once be possible, to 'return' a cursor as an out parameter from a stored procedure?
In MS SQL Server a stored procedure can return a 'recordset' by simply defining a select statement. In ORACLE one can define a ref cursor output parameter and 'fill' it within the stored proc.
On the client side using ADO, it is then possible to call the stored proc and fetch the rows in a recordset thereby.
Is there a similar way with mysql?

Thanks and Regards
Joe

It should be possible, and I assume ( hope ) that some time soon this will be possible, but currently it is not.
The client libraries are not currently up to it. I've logged a bug at http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=2273
Vote for it. It's probably assigned to the wrong section. I originally experienced the bug when connecting via MyODBC, so I assigned it to that module. Now others are telling me that PHP gives the same error. However it works from the MySQL client. So it looks like the client libraries that MyODBC and PHP are using need updating. But I don't know enough about how it all works, so I've leaving this as-is at the moment.
But anyway, vote for the bug.

--
sig Daniel Kasak
IT Developer