Has anyone seen this one? This is with MySQL 4.1.1 source RPM
MySQL-4.1.1-0.src.rpm on SuSE 9.

Using the MySQL binary RPM, I can --chroot=/path and --user=mysql,
and it works fine.

But if I compile the binaries mysql on SuSE 9 it doesn't work
correctly. If I run as root (--user=root) it starts fine. If I run as
mysql (--user=mysql) or any other user, I get this:

Fatal error: Can't change to run as user 'mysql' ; Please check that the user exists!

I compiled the binaries into packages using the spec file that ships
with MySQL-4.1.1-0.src.rpm.

Anyone else seen that or have a clue why?

Thanks!
Steve