Hi Folks.

I've seen similar questions asked both here, and via a google search - but I
haven't found an answer which has helped yet - so heres hoping!!

I run a Linux webserver which has PHP 4 installed, and am currently
prototyping a design using MySQL 5.0-alpha on Windows 2K professional. The
two servers are on different subnets of a LAN, but are able to talk to each
other unrestricted (all TCP services I have tried work perfectly, e.g. SMTP,
FTP).

The problem is that connections from PHP to MySQL seem to take 4-5 seconds
(after which any queries within the connection go through in normal lengths
of time - only the connection time itself is long). Although I have a fully
functional internal DNS server, I thought name resolution might be an issue.
I amended my PHP pages (they inherit a global 'data connection' object which
is used as a wrapper) to connect to the Win2k box by IP address - and the
problem persists.

Has anyone else encountered this, and are there any ideas?

Connections from the same Linux box with PHP to another Linux box on the
same subnet as the Win2k box running MySQL 4 work perfectly - so is it
possible this is a MySQL 5 issue? I am using the 'old connections' flag (but
have tried both with it off and on, since I am not actually using a password
for the connection at present).

Any suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Cheers,

Matt